Real Estate / Eminent Domain
Sarine Abrahamian has over 10 years of experience representing and counseling school districts, community college districts and universities in the area of school facilities including real estate, land use, construction and eminent domain, handling both litigation and transactional matters. She has been successful in purchasing properties for schools through negotiated acquisitions without the need for protracted litigation and has assisted schools in all aspects of property acquisition including site evaluation, site selection and due diligence for California Environmental Quality Act and California Department of Education clearance. Sarine’s experience includes the drafting and negotiation of leases/ground leases, licenses and easements. She also assists schools in the disposition of surplus property, and advises 7-11 committees in all aspects of the surplus property process. More recently, she has been successful in obtaining the necessary entitlements and approvals for erecting billboards on school district owned sites, which is a means for creating substantial additional revenue from existing district real estate.
Sarine also has extensive experience drafting and negotiating energy efficiency agreements and various construction agreements.
Sarine has substantial trial and arbitration experience resulting in a unanimous jury verdict for a school district client in an eminent domain action, and a substantial award of liquidated damages for a community college district in a construction arbitration. Sarine has also successfully represented school districts in the Court of Appeal. Sarine has extensive experience litigating construction delay and defect claims.
Sarine has authored and co-authored various construction and eminent domain materials, and presented at various conferences as follows:
- Presenter: CASH Workshop – “Realizing Revenues from Your Real Estate”
- Presenter: CASBO-CBO Symposium – “California School Districts: Disposition of Real Property, Acquisition of Real Property”
- Presenter: MCLE conference – “Understanding the Construction Bidding Process”
- Presenter: International Right of Way Association Annual Meeting – “Date of Value Issues in Eminent Domain Law”
- Authored: “Determining the Date of Valuation” for International Right of Way.
- Authored: “Proper Care and Handling of Stop Notices” for an MCLE presentation.
- Co-authored: “The ABCs of Eminent Domain and Inverse Condemnation” for a presentation before the International Right of Way Association.
Sarine graduated from the University of California, San Diego where she majored in political theory and minored in both history and Russian/Soviet studies. She received her law degree from Loyola Law School.